Thursday, October 16, 2003

Preach on Brother.... 10-16-2003

Since fireronzook.com has been taken down I thought it would be appropriate to post as much material from that site here as possible. The posts are dated by original publication date.

-------

Well the Gators pulled off a huge win. I will give credit to the players-only meeting that had the team fired up. I think Nick Saban is a fool. His teams always lack consistency. LSU is no different then Michigan State when Saban was there. You never know what you're going to get. This win doesn't give Zook any day off from me. It's a win yes, but players from Florida should always beat players from Louisiana. Florida is the best football playing state there is. Hey, he beat LSU at LSU. But, he still lost to Ole Miss at Florida Field.

So to me the only thing to do is discuss who should be the next coach at UF.

Well let me tell you what I would like to see…obviously Bobby Stoops, but I don't see him leaving OU. They are just too good, and he can raid a great football state (Texas) while keeping players from Oklahoma home. Norman is a nice place to raise kids, and the tradition at Oklahoma is fantastic. I would offer the guy 5 mil to come to UF. He's worth every penny. The amount of money he raised at OU is astonishing. He is a coach with the right attitude.

I saw this quote from Stoops and I love it …
"Oklahoma is not about above .500 winning percentages and the Independence Bowl. It's about national titles."

He said that before the 2000 season and then he delivered a title. AMAZING!

A coach who openly admits where a program should be. A coach who goes to a crappy bowl and admits it. No excuses … unlike Zook. He also refuses to talk down his team and simply takes one game at a time. He doesn't discuss winning the Big XII. He only discusses the next game. I love this man. He is the best coach in college football, probably any level of football. But I have to be honest and say, he's not leaving, and why would he? It's a great situation at OU. I don't blame him.

So who would I like to see us get….

I personally would like Mike Stoops. I think the Stoops Brothers know football and know how to get the type of players who fit their system. Something I think Spurrier was good at. We were not always the top rated recruiting classes but we were always up there in those ratings. Many of the players we got who were not on any recruiting list turned out to be better then a lot of the highly touted guys.

I think the Oklahoma has done this exceptionally well. Torrance Marshall and Teddy Lehman are examples of this. Our Juco's have been disappointing. Zook has no idea how to use the talent he has. Hence Chris Leak never rolls out and our receivers are always standing still when the catch the ball.

I think Stoops could also bring a good offensive coordinator with him, he could steal Steve Spurrier, Jr., who has coached with this crew for a while now and is a good recruiter of offensive talent. Stoops believes in a wide open offense and a zone blitzing confusing defense. He has a great record in big games and I think he is perfect for Florida. That's my dream, I watch Oklahoma games and realize they never have let downs. I mean Iowa State was a perfect let down situation and they blew them out bad. Sure mobile quarterbacks give them problems, but remember what they did to Seneca Wallace's Heisman campaign? They ended it! And what they just did to Vince Young and Texas was amazing. I saw last year's Texas A&M game and a couple slips by defensive backs and that's why they lost. The Oklahoma State was and overly aggressive corner biting on play action. And a bad quarterback didn't help.

I hear a lot of people calling for Mike Leach. I like Mike Leach and he too was involved with the 2000 Sooners. I have no problem with him, but I don't think he runs the ball enough and most recruits think the same, hence Shaud Williams transferred to Alabama. I like Stoops better, I think that's where the easiest hire would be. But I am worried that another win like this LSU win will make Foley keep Zook another year. Thus, letting Arizona get Mike Stoops. We can not let that happen!!!

Foley, call Bobby Stoops and offer him as much as you can spend, if he says no, PLEASE GET HIS BROTHER!!!

Just watch that Oklahoma defense play. It is amazing how good they are.

Mike
NYC