Thursday, January 17, 2002

FRZ Editor’s Notes 1/17/02

Since fireronzook.com has been taken down I thought it would be appropriate to post as much material from that site here as possible. The posts are dated by original publication date.

------

"Challenges are what make people work harder."

Ron Zook's own words at a news conference in Gainesville a few days ago, and without a doubt, the single most important reason this website exists.

Admit it. You turned ESPN on the other day and heard, "Ron Zook", and your mouth hit the floor. That is, if you have any real knowledge of Gator football whatsoever between 1991 and 2001. If you were a student in 1994 (like I was), you know exactly what I'm talking about.

He was run out of Gainesville. I don't care what you've read, and I don't care what you think you know....I was there. His skills as a coach at that time were not up to par with Spurrier's dynasty, and his so-called "excitement" was not going to win us any championships, much less keep our defense from getting picked apart.

Fast forward to the year 2002. Steve Spurrier resigns and Jeremy Foley has a short list with a quick deadline. He has made questionable decisions in recent years which have turned out to be highly successful. All of a sudden, out of left field comes Ron Zook, and we as Gator fans are stunned. Whether you agree with this website or not...you were stunned.

So here we are with a head coach whose only two ties to Florida were his post-1993 season demotion, and his friendship with Foley. Now some of you have written me declaring that this site is a sure sign that I am not a true Gator fan. Let me ask you this: Is your definition of a 'fan' someone who sits back and cheers on bad decisions? Am I supposed to just say, "oh well" and "Go Gators!" and accept the fact that Zook's defense 2 months ago gave up 160 points in their last FOUR games? I don't think so.

If nothing else, this site exists to allow all of you to share your opinions, regardless of whether you agree or disagree. I could have called the site "HoorayRonZook.com", but how many of you would be reading this right now? I remain a loyal Gator fan. I will be cheering for this team until the day I die. However, we're not some 'Bad News Bears' underdog squad who needs a good pep talk to win games...we're the Florida Gators. I hope to God our new coach has developed his coaching skills over the past few years and will live up to the high expectations that have come with this new venture.

If this particular challenge makes Ron Zook work hard enough to overcome his past mistakes and become a great Gator football coach, this Webmaster is all for it.