Wednesday, January 30, 2002

FRZ Editor’s Notes 1/30/02

Since has been taken down I thought it would be appropriate to post as much material from that site here as possible. The posts are dated by original publication date.


"How can you possibly call yourself a true Gator fan?"

A quote from one of our readers which has been echoed through various emails and postings from about 60% of our viewers. Did you notice I said 60%? The other 40% of emails and comments have been positive. These are obviously the individuals who have looked beyond the name and actually realized why this page exists. It's all about the conversation, folks.

I am extremely proud of the open conversation that has been generated by this site (minus a few idiots on the guestbook who stray from the subject at hand). If nothing else, you have all proved what I already knew...that the University of Florida has the most loyal fans in the nation.

So loyal, in fact, that some of you are blinded by your emotions.

I'm not saying that the name of this site shouldn't make you angry. Hell, that's the whole reason we chose this name in the first place. 99% of would not have clicked on the link that said, and we would not be having this conversation right now. That said, if you look beyond the name and realize that not everything on this site is dedicated to the firing of Zook, you will see that we are merely a comical place for opponents AND proponents of Foley's decision to voice their opinions. My opinion just happens to be that the decision was bad. Nothing more, nothing less.

Does that make me any less of a Gator fan? Absolutely not. Will I be cheering come September with the same enthusiasm I have been for the past 12 years? Hell yes. Am I a spoiled rotten fan who expects us to win all the time? You're damn right I am.

They have a name for people who expect to lose. They call them Losers.

Maybe it's because I don't know any different. I admit I was not a fan before I studied there. This, however, does not disqualify me from having a valid opinion on what Foley himself has admitted is a career defining decision. In his own words to Zook, "I just put my career in your hands".

I mean really, who says that unless they're scared out of their mind? Foley has had a little time to think about his decision and take in the national 'DOH!' which immediately followed. Now it's up to Zook to map out the future of his career.

I sure hope Zook gives better directions than he did in the 90's.