Sunday, October 20, 2002

FRZ Editor’s Notes 10/20/02

Since fireronzook.com has been taken down I thought it would be appropriate to post as much material from that site here as possible. The posts are dated by original publication date.

-------

"I'm feeling joy right now, because, I'll tell you something, wins are hard to come by.'' -Zook

Somewhere in the world right now, there is a mangy dog out in the streets with no home and nothing to eat. Later on today, he's probably going to be wandering through your yard, and even more importantly, digging through your trash. With any luck, you finally got around to throwing out that moldy piece of chicken that's been sitting in the fridge since June...and our beloved mutt is going to find that chicken and what is he going to feel? That's right. Joy.

Exactly when did beating Auburn by an overtime touchdown (after blowing a 16 point fourth quarter lead) become a 'joyous' event? Don't get me wrong...I'm happy we won.

But...Joy? Let's go ask the experts:

Joy (joi) - n. A source or an object of pleasure or satisfaction. Intense and especially ecstatic or exultant happiness.

I don't expect Zook, or any coach for that matter, to do things the way Spurrier does. But can you imagine if SOS (or any decent coach) had coached this game, the post-game comments that Jill Arrington (bless her soul) would have gotten? I don't think 'joy' would have been anywhere in that conversation.

I will be especially ecstatic when we win the SEC. I will be intense and full of exultant happiness when the National Championship comes back to Gainesville. But I refuse to feel satisfaction from a game that should have been, in ESPN's words, 'a snoozer'.

Either way, congratulations to the Gators for a much needed win. As far as Zook goes however, there's this other cliche about a dog and sunshine...